The Donegal Express

The calling of the Rosary
Spanish wine from far away
I’m a free born man of the USA

Name:
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

I am the most wanted man on my island; but I'm not on my island. More's the pity.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Once again, Freshman Psych rears its ugly head.

--Cher Horowitz




Ok, if one psychotherapist has the names of three other psychotherapists for his blog, does that count as multiple personality disorder?

Reading Sigmund, Carl and Alfred fills me with a morbid fascination. Is he for real? If he actually a psychotherapist? Is he really serious when he critiques other bloggers' psychological deficiencies while exhibiting psychoses out the wazoo?

I don't know. All I do know is that it's entertaining as hell, and I read early and often. So should you. Everyone in the blogosphere needs a niche, and now that Frasier's off the air SC&A has one. It's like that other great scholar, Thornton Melon, once said:

"He really cares.....about what I have no idea."

And I like the three name bit, actually. It makes me jealous. I think I'll check on the availability of larrymoeandcurly.blogspot.com . Or maybe I'll try FatherSonAndHolyGhost.blogspot.com . Or, to be obscure, eddiefrankandraoul.blogspot.com (bonus points if anyone can figure out that last one). I got it, tinkerseversandchance.blogspot.com .

Anyway, SC&A takes a few minutes to carefully smack around the stereotypical liberal and conservative. Someone once told me, the reason stereotypes exist, is that they do contain some useful information about a group, sometimes. I just substitute "leftist" or "Bircher" in place of liberal and conservative. The post flows better that way. I'll poke some holes at the conservative side of the equation. I'm sure liberals are strong enough to defend themselves, after all.

First off, *gasp* non-Christians? Hey, the Republican symbol is an elephant, not the Lamb of God. Evangelicals (of which I am not one) are unshakeable in their support for Israel. Please note they don't call it, "The Methodist State". Jewish World Review gets quite a bit of its funding from Christians. I know, I talked with Binyamin Jolkovsky about this very subject some years ago. Ask any far-right conservative to name ten Democrats they admire, and I can almost guarantee the name "Joe Lieberman" will come up. It might be the /only/ name to come up. And Bobby Jindal is a new Congressman from...Louisiana. And he's gonna be there for a long...long time.

(Ok, I don't know if Jindal is a Hindu, but still....)

And as for the flushing babies down the toilet rant. That's cool, you think people should just accept the way things are. Hey, you're free to your opinion. However, the one thing that drives me nuts is the conceit that "modern man" has reached some sort of pinnacle of uberness. The way things are are the way things are going to be. Chesterton responded to those who said, "You can't turn back the clock."

"The man who claims that it is impossible to turn back the clock, clearly knows nothing about clocks."

Yeah. Unless you live in Arizona or something, you turn back the clock once a year.

We can create our world however we wish it, only limited by the realities of human nature. We could make this planet into a giant Bedford Falls, or into the Thunderdome. Obviously, some changes would require more effort than others, and might take hold in some areas before others. A society is only the framework in which people live. That framework can and has been changed numerous times throughout history. Why couldn't it happen again?

Changing the reality of the ability to flush babies down the toilet would have a cascade effect across a wide number of variables in society. Outlawing flushing babies down the toilet would dry up the number of doctors willing to flush babies down the toilet. If not "safe" and legal, it would sure as hell be rare. Confronted with a paucity of doctors, women (and men) will be forced to rethink things like sex, marriage, and relationships. Would we start hearing about "coat hangers" again? Probably for a while, but I wouldn't go buying stock in coat hanger companies.

Children being flushed down the toilet affects all of us as a society. Case in point, Dave Thomas. Thomas was born out of wedlock in 1932 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and a couple from Michigan adopted him when he was six months old. His biological parents did not flush him down the toilet. He was adopted. Because of that one small act, I now enjoy a Frosty from Wendy's. If his parents had made a different choice, I would never have experienced the joy that is the Frosty. What am I now missing out on from the /millions/ who did not think like Dave Thomas' biological parents? I'm lessened by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home